Business and Economics
Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht (HWR) Berlin
Berlin Professional School
Badensche Str. 52
The Master of International Business Management (MIBMA) builds on a knowledge of basic concepts, theories and applied business administration to develop a comprehensive understanding of international management. This takes into account both strategic and operative aspects – and focuses on a project-based and applied approach.
Students on this postgraduate programme can expect to acquire the expertise and skills needed to work in companies or organisations active in an international environment or take on a management position as a future executive.
By including practice-based projects, students develop the skills to apply content creatively to international issues with the objective of solution finding. The students' problem-solving skills are systematically developed by a modern mix of methodological approaches to teaching and learning. Guest speakers acknowledged in their field provide a real-world perspective to supplement the course content.
The programme emphasises working cooperatively to engage with the course materials in an international context. The international focus is clearly reflected in English as the language of instruction, the international composition of the student intake, and the study visit to a partner University in London.
Regular exchanges with fellow-students and faculty support scholarly and cultural learning. Aside from the focus on applied tasks, students also learn the requisite scholarly methodology and, in this way, are trained in systematic and proper scholarly practices.
Through a system of specialisations and electives, the subjects taught go beyond the classic business areas to deal with current topics and issues relevant to present global challenges. Students can opt for one of two specialisations:
explores current issues in general international management as well as applied topics of concern in networked global business such as entrepreneurship or media.
Digital Business Management &
prepares students for taking on managerial roles in the era of digitization, be
it in start-ups or traditional companies. Seminaristic lectures on up-to-date
topics are complemented by the discussion of used cases as well as a “Digital
Business Safari” to hotspots of digital business in the Berlin area.
Program EmphasisProgramme Details
The programme is structured around 12 modules, each ending with an exam. The programme provides fundamental cross-sector and cross-functional skills and knowledge in international management. These facilitate an analytical problem-solving expertise allowing for cultural factors, and which can also support personal and career development. Creative solution finding in a team as part of the practice-based projects encourages thinking outside the box and, in this way, promotes successful project management.
- International Business Management
- Operations and Information Management
- Managing People and Organisations
- Finance and Accounting
- Personal Development I
- International Business Strategy
- Personal Development II
- Research Methodology
- Specialisation: International Management or International Tourism Management
Students take two electives within their specialisation in International Management, for example:
* Consulting & Project Management
* Media Marketing
* Gender & Diversity
Digital Business Management & Leadership, for example:
* Digital Market Management
* Digital Supply Chain Management & Smart Operations
* E-Commerce & E-Retailing
Requirements / ApplicationAdmission
To apply for this postgraduate programme, you need to fulfil the following requirements:
- a completed undergraduate degree (from a university or university of applied sciences, or a BA-Diplom from a university of cooperative education)
- a minimum of one year work experience after the first degree
- For non-native English speakers: proof of excellent English skills. The standard required is based on the following results in the most widely used tests: TOEFL 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based) or BULATS 75 or IELTS 6.5.
Applications for this postgraduate programme may be submitted from the beginning of 1. January. As the programme starts every year in September, we need to receive your application by the following dates:
- Non-EU-citizens: 30. April (due to Visa process time)
- EU-citizens: 15. June
Applications received after this date are only included in the selection process for the current year if there are still empty places on the programme.
Non-German citizens who would like to apply for this postgraduate programme, please use uni-ASSIST. In case of admittance to the course the fee for uni-ASSIST will be credited against your tuition fees.
German citizens (applicants with a German passport) please apply via the online application tool.
Content of Application
The application form has to be submitted together with the following documents:
- a letter of motivation explaining your choice of programme in view of your career goals
- a copy of your passport or ID
- a CV/resume
- a copy of your undergraduate university degree
- if you are a citizen of a non-EU state, you will also need to supply proof that your undergraduate degree required a minimum period of study of at least three years
- as required, proof of the number of Credit Points awarded for your undergraduate degree
- proof of your English skills (certification must be less than three years old)
- proof of work experience.
Tuition / Fees
The tuition fees for the entire M.Sc. programme total Euro 12,900*, payable in three instalments. The course fees include:
- Attendance at all courses and seminars
- Teaching materials (readers and hand-outs)
- Guest lectures
- Welcome Service
- Events and accommodation for the study visit programme
- Career Service
- Matriculation, exam and final exam fees, and service and administration costs
* Subject to revision
Duration of studyOrganisation
The programme, which lasts 15 months and is taught in English, starts every year in September. The first two semesters are dedicated to the teaching modules on the programme, while the third semester is reserved for writing the thesis. The study visit takes place during the second semester. The course is worth 90 credits (ECTS).
Students can expect to acquire the expertise to work in companies or organisations active in an international environment or take on a management position as a future executive.
This postgraduate programme is designed for applicants from Germany and overseas with a first degree and at least one year of work experience. The programme is especially suitable, for example, for graduates in subjects closely related to business administration such as business informatics, business communication or media management who have attended state and private universities and are interested in a postgraduate degree in general international management.